1. Which of these statements best describes an effect of changes in Earth's magnetic field?
a.Southern lights are seen at high altitude places like Alaska.
b.Northern lights are seen at low latitude places like Michigan.
c.The solar wind moves away from Earth towards other planets.
d.The magnetic north and south poles of Earth are interchanged.
2. Which of these statements best explains why Galileo's model of the solar system was different from Ptolemy's model of the solar system?
a. Different models help make results more reliable.
b. Different models help find several applications of the results.
c. Their scientific models were created at different periods in history.
d. Their scientific interpretations were influenced by their backgrounds.
3. Which of these best matches an object in the solar system with its characteristic?
a. asteroid → has a tail
b. comet → orbits a planet
c. meteor → a streak of light
d. planet → orbits the moon
4. Which of these statements best compares gravitational and electromagnetic forces in the solar system?
a. Electromagnetic forces are only repulsive but gravitational forces are both attractive and repulsive.
b. Electromagnetic forces are only attractive but gravitational forces are both attractive and repulsive.
c. Gravitational forces are only repulsive but electromagnetic forces are both attractive and repulsive.
d. Gravitational forces are only attractive but electromagnetic forces are both attractive and repulsive.
5. Which of these is the most likely impact of solar prominence on Earth?
a. rerouting of aircraft
b. increase in severity of hurricanes
c. long-term electrical power generation
d. improvement in satellite communication
6. Which of these most likely causes a lunar eclipse?
a. moon coming between sun and Earth along a straight line
b. Earth coming between sun and moon along a straight line
c. moon moving closer to Earth than sun
d. Earth moving closer to sun than moon
7. The model below represents a nuclear reaction. Atom 1 is present before the reaction and Atom 2 and Atom 3 are produced after the reaction.
Atom 1 = Atom 2 + Atom 3 + energy
The model most likely represents a reaction which
a. takes place when atoms combine
b. takes place when atoms become inactive
c. does not produce energy in the sun
d.does not produce energy in nuclear power plants